ads

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Got some rest

Still tired, just not that bad anymore. Two weeks of my final posting before that real internship kicks in. I'm now attached to a Geriatric ward where it is unlikely to meet a patient younger than 60 years.

It has been tough, it has been good. At times I feel as though I was handling little children because caring for elderly persons with dementia, unsteady gaits, behavioral issues and so on, is very much like looking after children in a kindergarten or at the park. Sometimes I wish we could give the folks a bit more freedom and autonomy, but the risk for falls is high and the consequences that follow one can be quite bad.

Every day when I am less busy I cannot help but think about what would things be like for me when I reach 80 or 90 if I ever do. And of course, how would I prefer things to be like. Often I end up in fear of what the future might hold.

Taking care of elderly patients is very different from working in an Orthopaedics ward or the Emergency Department. And it can be rather exhausting too.

This is my final week, gonna make the best out of it.

2 comments:

Lo Kelween said...

Stop frightening me, will you.

Unknown said...

Feeling the need to get married and have children? :P