ads

Saturday 23 January 2010

Mangkat

My evening nap last night ended went overtime, just got up from my mom's bed  realising that I had to prepare for school already. Whilst Elaine was in the bathroom and I continued snoozing, dad woke up to inform us that there is no school today because the Sultan of Johore passed away last night.

No school! But I'm not too excited actually, today's class will be until 10AM only anyway. If the Sultan could die on another day, I would have gotten a longer "special holiday". Haha, there's no need to be so calculative, give thanks.

So I got up early in the morning to find out about a news, good or bad news, I won't go into that, but news anyway. News that there is no school for today.
However I paused for a moment and began musing.

I started thinking about people, about life, about the roles people play in life and so on. What good did the Sultan do for his people, perhaps a little average Joe like me wouldn't understand. Maybe he ruled with justice, maybe otherwise, but I, just a student, cannot tell. As far as I am concerned, the Sultan's death benefits me more than his life did.

Everybody plays a role in the lives of a certain number of people and have an amount of influence over them, be it consciously or not. How big is your role in the lives of those around you? How many people do you affect? Are the effects you have on people good or bad? Nobody is insignificant, but am I putting in effort to do anything about my significance, for the common good?
The Sultan had power, his death could cause local schools and government offices to cease operation for one day. Not many people can have such power, but everybody has to die. Will my death bring anything to people? How many people will my death affect? What will people say about my life? How many people had been blessed, or cursed? Will they be relieved or will there be mourners?
All these questions and uncertainties..... can be predicted by the way I live this life.

What good will my death bring? What good does my life bring?

No comments: