ads

Monday 6 October 2008

Hair? School?

Many students are said to be having disciplinary problems in school due to what they have on their heads. The school rule forbids too fancy hair styles. When I was a few years younger, I was one of the worst concerning this issue. I was VERY particular about my looks, body height, weight, complexion, and hair, of course. All these thanks to puberty.
Unfortunately, in Malaysian Secondary schools, or at least in my school, some teachers just want to keep your hair short for you. In other words, they would make use of the scissors if you do not visit the hair salon after being warned to.
Teachers do it for various reasons: (I think)
Those who care for students want to keep them out of trouble.
Some do it to show that they are not bias towards students of different races.
Some are simply following instructions.
Others just want to make lives of students miserable.

From my observation, I find that teachers look at the students more than they look at their hair.
They usually go easy on students who are apparently good and have no intentions of keeping their hair long; Teachers tend to be more strict towards students who usually keep fancy hair styles.
And I once was one of those who always get warnings and free haircuts from teachers in school. I remember once when I cried after getting a terrible one. The hurt then was tremendous yet evitable. All because I was immature and could not see the big picture.

Now, I no longer wish to go against the school rules after learning and deciding to put myself in the teacher's shoes. The teacher who gave me the worst haircut ever had to be so irritated and annoyed by my bad attitude, he is a nice person. But he had to show fairness towards Malay, Indian and Chinese students. I kept my hair long over and over again and perhaps that annoyed him then. It is not easy to be a teacher in Malaysian schools, it is even more difficult when it comes to dealing with stubborn adolescents.

To all students: It is not a health hazard to keep your hair tidy and neat within the school rules. It is good to have good relationships with teachers.

1 comment:

Joel Yap said...

Some teachers have no character.
But I respect those who have.