ads

Saturday 6 August 2011

To help?

What makes us human? What is so special about mankind when compared to the animal kingdom? Even the beasts and birds seem to help each other and somehow have some form of system to which they live by. They depend on instinct, to kill and to protect. However humans are far more complex than that. We have a gift called discernment, which I believe is what differentiates us from the animals.

We choose, to be good to another or the opposite.

And I think helping people is what makes us human. We help our own; we help those dependant on us; we help those who need help. A pro-social behaviour.
When not to help? When we lose interest; when in a bad mood; when our attitudes change; when we realise we've been taken advantage of? What keeps/stops us from helping others?

I just realised I might have been doing too much to help certain persons. So much so that they may develop dependance. When you want me to do something, you ask. Nothing wrong. However if you just lay back and wait for the results, why should I fulfill your responsibilities for you just because I can do a better job? It's different. Say a boy goes fishing for the first time with his dad. He doesn't know how to use a bait so the father does everything for him. But if he just waits and reap the rewards without laying a finger on the bait, he isn't going to know how to bait his rod in future. What good is it to go fishing with dad without learning anything about the activity? If the boy were to participate in setting up his fishing rod, with the help of the father, that's a different story. This boy learns.

If I helped people, their gratitude isn't important. It's more about the experience, learning and growth.
My help is wrong if it becomes unhelpful.

Doing something tough with the help of one; is different from asking him/her to do it on my behalf. I had lived a rather "easy" life before, as there were almost always people around me ready to help should I meet any difficult circumstances. People with experience, and a kind soul. It was(is) tempting to have them do my stuff for me. The easy road is always more pleasant to take. I must confess my reliance and sloth, which led to consequences.

Therefore I must be careful in helping. As much as I would love to help. Show me your intentions and I'll give you my help.

No comments: